Create your own DIY spin art machine with your salad spinner. Your kids will love creating fun art projects all summer long with this salad spinner art.
DIY Spin Art Machine
My kids love a good art project. Our Mixed Media Mermaid Art was a huge hit with them! So I knew that some Salad Spinner Art is right up their ally.
Last week my kids started becoming obsessed with spin art videos. I’m cringing just thinking about how messy it would be, but I thought about how we could create a DIY spin art machine with very little mess. At that exact moment, I saw my salad spinner and thought, YESSSS! I am so excited to share with you how to make spin art in your salad spinner!
- 3×3 flat canvas panels or heavy cardstock
- Tempera paint
- Salad spinner
How to Make Spin Art in the Salad Spinner
- Place canvas in the basket of the salad spinner.
- Drop or squirt paint onto the canvas.
- Close the salad spinner and press the pump several times to spin.
- Remove the lid to view the art.
- Add additional paint if desired and repeat the spinning process.
- When done, remove the canvas from the salad spinner and place somewhere flat to allow it to dry.
Tips Tricks and FAQs
- If you don’t have a canvas, use heavy cardstock or even white paper plates.
- You can spin multiple colors at once if you would like.
- Once you spin art in your salad spinner I recommend not using it for food again.
- Get creative! Use your salad spinner art project creations to make all kinds of things.
What kind of paint should I use?
In this project, we used tempera paint. You can use any water-based, acrylic paint as well. Be sure you do not use oil-based paint because these are not kid-friendly.
What is the best salad spinner to use?
There are so many options when it comes to salad spinners. Time and time again people recommend the IKEA salad spinner because it is really inexpensive. I love using my OXO salad spinner. I have had it ever since I got married and have now converted it to our craft spinner and is a really great quality product. I love that kids can actually spin their art easily with it even at a young age.
What kinds of spin art projects can you create with your kids? Share in the comments!
How Do I Access My Free Template?
Fill in the form above. You will receive an email in your inbox. If you don’t see it check your spam folder! You will then click to confirm your subscription. Once confirmed you will be taken to Airtable (a different website) where all our free templates will be waiting for you! It is free to sign up for Air Table!
How Do I Print A PDF?
You’ll need a program that supports PDFs. Adobe Acrobat is a great option. Open the program, click file then print. Select your printer and the number of copies you want to print. Be sure you click double-sided if you want it to print on both sides.
Can I Resell These?
You may not resell any printable or template that you find on our website or in our resource library. You may use them for class parties, at church, at home, or in the classroom. You may get these printed at an office supply store or copy center at your own expense.