We have “brought home the bacon” with this list of facts about pigs! Not only are pigs cute and loud, they are very intelligent. Did you know that their squeal is louder than a jet engine? Read on for more interesting facts about pigs!
Learning new facts about their favorite animal will help your little farm hand grow their knowledge! Practicing new words and sparking conversation about what they have learned helps your little future pig farmer expand their capabilities. If your child loves crafting then they will love giving this Paper Pig Puppet a try!
Fascinating Facts about Pigs
- There are 18 different species of pigs.
- Pigs are very clean animals, despite rolling in the mud.
- Rolling in the mud is actually how they keep cool.
- Pigs have no sweat glands, so they use mud. There is no way to “sweat like a pig.”
- March 1st is National Pig Day.
- Pigs do not poop where they eat or sleep.
- Pigs love to play!
- Pigs are very intelligent, and it has been shown they are smarter than dogs.
- Baby pigs are called Piglets, while mommas are Sows.
- Male pigs are called Boars.
- Sows can give birth to up to 10 piglets in one litter.
- When a momma pig is nursing her piglets, she will sing to them by grunting.
- Each Piglet has their own teat to drink from, they go to the same one each time.
- Pigs love belly rubs, just like your dog!
- Despite their little legs, pigs can trot at around 11 miles per hour.
- Piglets can see, walk and run within hours of being born.
- Piglets like to stay warm so they often sleeping a piggy pile.
- There are over 600 Million pigs around the world.
- Pigs are omnivores, which means they eat plants and meat.
- Pigs are typically brown, black, yellow, or pink.
- A fully grown pig can weigh up to 700 pounds.
- Pigs have poor eyesight, but an amazing sense of smell.
- Pigs have been trained to sniff out landmines.
- Pigs have 44 teeth.
- Pigs love to drink water and can drink up to 5 gallons a day.
- Pigs squeal loudly when they feel threatened. It is so loud that it measures higher than a jetplane engine.
- Pig hearts have been used in place of a human heart in a transplant.
- A pet pig can live to be 20 years old.
- Pigs can be trained to do the same commands as a dog, and will learn them faster than the dog!
- Pigs can dream just like humans.
- Pigs have been domesticated for over 6,000 years.
- Pigs have four toes.
- Sows (female pigs) can start having piglets at 12 months old.
- The hairs on pigs were once used for paintbrushes.
- There is one breed of pig called the Mangalica that has hair like a sheep.
Hopefully you enjoyed this list of facts about pigs! Leave a comment with your favorite fact or another fact we didn’t have.
Complete List of Facts!
- 40 Pawsome Facts About Raccoons
- 61 Facts About Blizzards You Won’t Believe [Free Fact Cards]
- 21 Interesting Facts About Red Wolves [Free Fact Cards]
- 75 Mind-Blowing Facts About William Shakespeare You Never Knew
- 55 Fascinating Facts About Frogs
- 35 Oinktastic Facts About Pigs
- Over 50 Giraffe Facts That Help You Discover the Wonders of Earth’s Tallest Creatures!
- 50 Shell-tacular Fascinating Facts about Turtles just for kids!