Learn how to make a Ghost out of a Recycled Laundry Pods Container. This is such a fun recyclable craft project just in time for Halloween!
Recycled Laundry Pods Container Ghost
I can’t lie, Halloween is not one of my favorite holidays, but my kids absolutely love it! That is why I humor them with fun Halloween craft project ideas like my Paper Pumpkin Truck!
The other day I was doing laundry (another thing I don’t love) and I was about ready to throw out my All Pod container when I had a fun project idea with the kids, to make recycled laundry pod container ghosts. Let me tell you, the kids absolutely loved these! Since then they have made all kinds of fun Halloween designs to decorate around the yard! I know your kids will love this project too!
- 1 empty Tide laundry pods container or other Brand
- Ghost template
- Printer paper OR 8.5×11 blank adhesive label OR black adhesive vinyl
- Liquid glue (if not using adhesive)
- Scissors (if not using a cutting machine)
How to Make a Ghost out of Recycled Laundry Pods Container
- Remove the label from the laundry pods container by soaking in hot water, scraping, and then using GooGone to remove completely. You can also use a heat gun to warm the label but the ease of this option varies based on the brand. For instance, I found using a heat gun to be easy on Gain containers but difficult on Tide containers.
- Remove the top from the container and discard.
- Print template and cut.
- Apply the template to the side of the container.
Tips Tricks and FAQs
- While this project uses paper or vinyl you can also use paint or even sharpies.
- Any laundry pod container will work great for this project. I love to use All Pods for the ghosts, Tide for pumpkins, and Gain to make Frankenstien.
- Get creative with these! Don’t feel limited to the pattern, allow your kids to make entire collections of Ghosts, pumpkins, and Frankensteins.
- These will easily light up by adding battery operated tea lights. DO NOT USE an actual candle it will melt the container.
How to Remove the Label for a Laundry Pod Container?
Removing the label is essential! It can be pretty sticky and a pain in the bum.
I highly recommend soaking the container in very hot soapy water at first and then using Goo Gone to help remove the stickiness. In fact, feel free to let the Goo Gone sit on the label for several hours and that you use quite a bit of it. This should help the label peel right off and then use a little bit more Goo Gone to remove the remaining stickiness and you are all set! Remember to not use anything that is going to scratch the container like a butter knife to remove the label.
Can I use Spray Paint to change the container color?
While you absolutely could use spray paint, you won’t be able to see through the containers anymore. So if your goal is to make DIY Ghost luminaries, I would not suggest this. But if your goal is to make a cute ghost family that does not light up, spray away!
Where can I display these DIY Halloween Lanterns?
There are so many places you can use these! Place them around the house or even in your kids room! Use it for a nightlight during the Halloween season! It is really up to you!
You can even use these outside. I recommend if you do use them outside that you do weight them down a bit so they do not easily blow away in a wind storm.
How Do I Access My Free Template?
Fill in the form above. You will receive an email in your inbox. If you don’t see it check your spam folder! You will then click to confirm your subscription. Once confirmed you will be taken to Airtable (a different website) where all our free templates will be waiting for you! It is free to sign up for Air Table!
How Do I Print A PDF?
You’ll need a program that supports PDFs. Adobe Acrobat is a great option. Open the program, click file then print. Select your printer and the number of copies you want to print. Be sure you click double-sided if you want it to print on both sides.
Can I Resell These?
You may not resell any printable or template that you find on our website or in our resource library. You may use them for class parties, at church, at home, or in the classroom. You may get these printed at an office supply store or copy center at your own expense.
Be sure to pin this Ghost decoration so you can make it later!